KCC Code of Conduct
At West Minster we are always trying to improve attendance and support families in getting children to school.
Are you having difficulties in the morning ensuring the children are at school on time? Are you experiencing financial difficulty in getting your children to and from school? Are you experiencing health issues at the moment that makes it difficult to keep to routine?
The more pupils attend school, the more they learn, and the better their life chances as they progress through school!
At West Minster we believe that by talking to parents and helping improve attendance, together, we can ensure that your child is successful as they move into secondary school and through into later life! Please make an appointment with the Attendance Officer who will be happy to talk and offer support.
Together, we can make a difference to your child’s future!
In order for children to achieve their full potential at school, it is important that they attend school every day.
It is the parents’ legal responsibility to ensure their child arrives at school on time every day. Where ill health or other circumstances (such as bereavement) prevent this, parents must inform the school either by telephone, in writing or a note in the child’s contact book.
A text messaging service is now in place at West Minster you are now able to text on the morning of your child’s absence by 9.30am 07874873901.
Why is it important for your child to attend school regularly?
- It gives your child the best possible start in life.
- They will be able to keep up with their learning.
- They will have better future employment prospects.
- They will be at less risk of becoming victims of crime.
- They will be less likely to become involved in anti-social behaviour.
- It is the law.
Why is it important for your child to be punctual?
- Persistent lateness can be legally counted as unauthorised absences, which can…..
- Cause disruption to the rest of the class.
- Cause embarrassment to the child.
- Make it harder for the child to settle as they may have missed vital instructions.
- Being 15 minutes late each day during an entire school year is the same as missing two whole weeks of school!
- The Attendance Teddy is rewarded to the class with the best attendance in Key Stage 1.
- The Attendance Trophy is rewarded to the class with the best attendance in Key Stage 2.
- Punctuality Pup is rewarded to the class with the best punctuality.
- Classes that achieve above 97% attendance for the previous week are rewarded with a day of Non-school uniform.
- Classes that achieve 100% for one weeks attendance receive an afternoon of golden time with games and are rewarded with a new board game for wet play.
A useful booklet has been created for information on attendance.
A copy of the Sheerness West Federation Attendance Policy can be requested at the office.
Leave of Absences are to be requested at least 2 weeks prior to the leave starting, attached is the leave of absences form that needs to be completed and handed to the office.
Leave of Absences are not authorised unless the Head of School deems it as an exceptional circumstance. Leave of absence form requests